15-Minute Salmon with Tomato Salsa
If you want a great tasting recipe that also provides over 100% of the daily value for hard-to-find omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D, try this easy-to-prepare recipe tonight. It only takes 15 minutes and you will have a meal you’ll want to share with your best friends. Enjoy!
Prep and Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1-1/2 lbs salmon filet cut into 4 pieces, skin and bones removed
- 1 TBS lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Salsa If you want to save time you can use your favorite prepared salsa.
- 1 large fresh ripe tomato, diced small pieces, about 1/2 inch
- 3 TBS finely minced onion
- 3 medium cloves garlic, pressed
- 1-2 TBS minced jalapeno pepper (or to taste)
- 1 TBS minced fresh ginger
- 1 TBS coarsely chopped pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 TBS lemon juice
- 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
- To Quick-Broil preheat broiler on high and place an all stainless steel skillet (be sure the handle is also stainless steel) or cast iron pan under the heat for about 10 minutes to get it very hot. The pan should be 5 to 7 inches from the heat source.
- Rub salmon with 1 TBS fresh lemon juice and a little salt and pepper. (You can Quick Broil with the skin on; it just takes a minute or two longer. The skin will peel right off after cooking.)
- Using a hot pad, pull pan away from heat and place salmon on hot pan, skin side down. Return to broiler. Keep in mind that it is cooking rapidly on both sides so it will be done very quickly, usually in 7 minutes depending on thickness (10 minutes for every inch of thickness). Test with a fork for doneness. It will flake easily when it is cooked. Salmon is best when it is still pink inside.
- Combine all salsa ingredients.
- Spoon over salmon.
- Garnish with mint and a sprinkle of extra virgin olive oil.
Serves 4 (consider serving with brown rice)